Saturday, March 03, 2007

No joy with mealworms

After a long time, about two months, of not fishing, I managed to drag myself down to Bedok Jetty today, to try if mealworms (the kind you get in aquarium shops for feeding to fishes) can work as baits. So I bought a box of mealworms (if it doesn't work, I was going to feed them to my goldfishes and koi back home), got to Bedok Jetty, and hooked up the mealworms and cast.

After 3 hours, in which fishes nibbled at the mealworms but there were no strikes, I came to the conclusion that mealworms don't work good as baits. They died the moment they touch water, so they don't move around in the water to attract attention. And since they don't look like they smell (not like prawns), there is basically nothing that is going to attract fishes unless fishes just happen to be right beside.

And goldfishes don't seem to like them too... I tried feeding them to my goldfish, nope, not very popular with them. I will try with my koi tomorrow, probably with better results.

No comments: