Tuesday, November 21, 2006

10 Oct 2006 - Etajima Catches


These fishes were caught at Etajima, which is an island in Hiroshima Prefecture of Japan. I went to visit my ex-landlord and landlady with my wife, and we went fishing with my ex-landlord. The three of us caught these fishes using a surf rig provided by my landlord. The fishes are mostly kyusen (locally known as gizami, a kind of rainbowfish), though there were also two kisu (a kind of whiting/sillago) caught. The rig used was a rig specifically designed to catch gizami, and I was told by my landlord that you can buy this rig at Japanese fishing shops. The bait used was a type of beach worm called isome. The ones with strips are the male fishes, the ones with greenish-blue spots are the female ones. Apparently, they are a delicacy in the western part of Japan.

No comments: